Sunday, September 27, 2009

Welding

I let the latest update lag a bit.  This one is back from Wednesday, September 9th.  The day was exciting.  The write-up is boring.

It was a long day, 7 hours all told.  Rented the welder in the AM.  Came home and practiced making some beads on scrap metal.  Once I got the MIG settings right and had taught myself to weld, I did half of the welding job on scrap metal.  Only then did I get around to the parts on the car.

All in all it went quite well.  I plugged all the spot welds that were previously drilled out.  I only burned through twice.  A couple of pieces of scrap metal tacked onto the back let me finish those last two welds.  The welds were pretty big, so I spend a good amount of time grinding.  A couple welds needed to be filled in a bit more and reground..  I think it looks pretty good:



To finish off, I sprayed all over with the cold galvanizer.  I then yanked on it as hard as I could.  The piece didn't budge at all.  Hopefully it will pass the "doesn't fall apart while driving" test.



7 hours

No comments: