Saturday, August 1, 2009

Look Ma, no engine!

First things first: the water problem is resolved. The water test came back negative. Now we just have to wait until winter to drive it in the rain.

Exciting things second: the engine is out and the new apron fits like a glove. In terms of complexity, there really wasn't anything difficult. I just followed the manual step by step. In terms of intimidation it was pretty high - I hear the engine is kind of important if you want your car to run. In terms of actually removing the upper engine bolts, it was a real bear. You can't see either and have to feel around for both. The one on the right side removes from inside the engine compartment - the bolt on the other end has a specially shaped head that keeps it from spinning. The one on the left side removes from underneath the car, tucked behind the clutch lever, and requiring a ratchet with an extension on it - the nut is pressed into the engine block. A true pain in the ass... and the knuckles. That said, once the bolts were out it was easy to just pull the engine out backwards (while resting on a floor jack) . I'm still not sure how I'm getting it back in once the apron is in the way - it's gonna be a much tighter fit.

I guess I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it. Now for pictures:


Car minus engine


Engine minus car
(oohh... pretty)


New apron in place


A few spot welds to fill

Now I'm away from the car for three weeks... enough time to figure out what to do about the welding.



Thursday: 3.5 hours

No comments: